comes in the form of a 24 year old little sister. She is the strongest person I know (mostly because she had to fight me as a little girl). Had you of asked me about her when I was 14 I would have probably used words like hate, annoying, etc. But if you were to ask me now I would use words like kind, sincere, survivor, beautiful, talented, intelligent, funny. This is a photo of all of the girls on her wedding day: 

Most recently Erica had to fight a battle that is called cancer. At the age of 23 that word is probably one of the scariest things to hear. But Erica fought through her first surgery with dignity. When she got the news a month after her first surgery that they needed to do surgery again, she embraced it with a smile. This second surgery happened to come 6 weeks before the biggest day of her life! Her wedding. She never complained or said "why me." She endured. She knew that no matter what everything would be ok. She is an amazing example to me of having deep Faith. For this I love her and I'm grateful. Just recently I received this email from her:
"we just got back from my 6-month check up with Dr. Abraham...and he said that everything looks great!!YAY! Finally....the first time I heard GREAT news from a Doctor. He told me to come back in and see him in October, and if there is no sign of recurrence then we can start doing once-a-year checkups for a couple of years...and then to just assume that I am in the safe zone! YAY! Really, the only downside to the appointment was when my Doctor said, "Well, it looks like you have gained about 5 pounds since our visit in June"....wow, thanks Doc. Here's $200. Seriously, we pay our doctors to tell us we've gained weight? I just don't get it."
I am really grateful to have such an amazing person not only as my friend but lucky enough to have her as my sister. There is a quote that I love (thanks Linds and Rachelle):
I loved you too much to just be your friend so God made us sisters.
I love you E!
7 comments:
uhm...hi...it's me. And, I'm crying. In my cubicle. And sniffling.
yeah...still crying....
Thank you for the honor of having an entire post dedicated to me. Wow! You are amazing...and thank you so much.
I'll just call you, because my coworker just asked me if I was "okay". Who me? Yeah, just working. Not crying.
I love you!
Erica always was the wise one of all of you, it's funny how us youngest end up that way :) You are such an amazing group of women, all of you! Thanks to all of you for being such an inspiration to me over the past 10 years!
Nerdie??!! I can't believe she is married, let alone having had cancer. What a woman! You all are so beautiful...and so very lucky to have each other.
Funny, I was just about to to do a blog post about the same thing!! which I will but just say ditto. Erica really is an amazing inspiration. Truly someone I look up to as a younger sister.
BTW.. love that Liz called her nerdie. A few of us still call her that, although she still hates it.
What a great tribute to our little sister :) Yes, I have learned so much from her. She is such a strong lady :) Krista, you have handled this last month in an amazing way, also. You are a very strong person and I am proud to call you my sister, too. I haven't heard you complain once through all you've gone through. I know all is going to work out for you because of your faith and positive outlook on life! I love you!!!
krista and tim...we didn't know about the blog...cool. we set one up two years ago but never post anything, we are getting better though...we are at: www.brookeandluke.blogspot.com
take care, luke and brooke
Yes I am crying too. Erica really is amazing! And beautiful! Such a great example to everyone! I love you all!
Post a Comment